In 2010, the Wake Forest Athletic Department embarked on the most ambitious and successful fundraising campaign in its history. To date, the Wake Will campaign has generated more than $213 million in support of our student-athletes. Much of this impact can be seen firsthand on campus with the incredible facilities that have been completed or are currently under construction.
With significant investments in every aspect of Developing Champions—from facilities to nutrition to academic support—comes higher expectations on the field and in the classroom. And thus far this year, our programs have certainly delivered:
- Wake Forest student-athletes registered a graduation rate of 94 percent, seven percentage points ahead of the national average.
- Seven Demon Deacon programs had a 100 percent graduation rate.
- Men’s soccer won back-to-back ACC Championships for the first time in program history. This is an incredible accomplishment by Coach Muuss—winner of three consecutive ACC Coach of the Year awards—and his staff. The crowd at Spry Stadium for the NCAA quarterfinal game was the largest I have ever witnessed, with fans even climbing trees to watch the match against Stanford.
- Men’s golf is ranked fifth in the nation.
- Football is bowl bound for the second straight year, heading to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte on December 29.
As we return to the Belk Bowl for the first time since 2007, I am looking forward to seeing masses of Wake Forest fans descend on Charlotte as we take on Texas A&M. This important bowl is a testament to our team’s progress this year and the best way we can show our support is by packing Bank of America Stadium with Old Gold and Black.
Please remember that the priority deadline for ticket purchases is Friday, December 8 at 5:00 p.m. In addition, keep in mind that even if you cannot travel to the game, you can still support the Deacs by purchasing tickets for donation. These tickets are distributed to Wake Forest students and charitable organizations and further assist us in meeting our bowl-mandated ticket obligation.
I hope to see you in Charlotte as we aim to surpass the estimated 35,000 Deacon fans in attendance in 2007! For more details on bowl tickets, events and travel, please click here.